Saturday, June 27, 2009

Beautiful Story

Last evening, I was out at a graduation celebration. I don't know how it came up, but the bartender was telling me that he lost his wife of 34 years last August. I would have never guessed such a thing by his genuine demeanor and animated character. I was shocked when he told me this and said "Wow, you seem to be dealing very well with your loss." His reply to me was "my philosophy in life is if something is bothering me, I either change it or accept it. I cannot change the fact that my wife has been called Home, so I have accepted it."

He continued to tell me that he, of course, misses her presence and her companionship, but focuses on the wonderful life they had together, their two beautiful children, and realizes that "not everyone can say that and I am grateful for what I had."

I thought this was such a beautiful, honest story and at that moment, I said "Bobby, you will be the subject of my blog tomorrow!"

Thank you, Bobby, for sharing, and reminding me of the power of a grateful attitude :) !!!

5 comments:

  1. God obviously blessed Bobby and his wife. Thirty-four years together! Parting is never, ever easy, but it sounds as if he is hanging onto what he was given...more than what he has lost.
    Apparently they were given more than most.

    Some good books are lengthy...others short. We embrace the read and always dread the ultimate ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this...it's has given me a bit of inspiration today. The love of my life passed away unexpectedly a little over two months ago. Since he's been gone I have spent my days locked in my room crying and depressed. I have not returned to work and shut out most of my friends because they just don't understand what I'm going through. Reading this story has helped me realize that it is all about your attitude. I cannot change what has happen nor can I bring back my loved one. I really admire Bobby's beautiful perspective on life and how he treasured the time shared with his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you read the rest of the posts and my story, but I too lost the love of my life unexpectedly. I was in shock for a long time and cried for a long time. I wish you the growth that I was Blessed with. It might not feel like it now to you, but it will get easier and I am grateful to have loved so deeply and to have been loved so deeply back. Take care of yourself and keep in touch. I am always here.
    Best,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy,
    I had a similar experience about a great attitude.
    See my journal entry "a beautiful woman"
    Bill
    wildbill 5717 (DS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy,

    That was my husband George's philosophy as well -
    I change what I can and accept what I cannot. Throughout his whole cancer ordeal - he never asked why or why me? I read Bobby's story over and over and its touched me in ways you'll never know. Thanks Bobby for helping us look at our loss in a different light and thanks Judy for a wonderful blog. Much love and peace - Only1kim DS friend.

    ReplyDelete