Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Do What I Can When I Can



You are facing one of the most monumental challenges of your life and although your friends and family love you, they just want you to be 'fine' again. They feel pain when they see you in pain. The pain that we are going through is not conceivable to them [it wasn't to me either!] as usually those who tell you that it is time you have "moved on" have probably not been through something like this otherwise, I suspect they would know better.

My reply to all those who 'mean well' was and still is 'I do what I can when I can.' I found this reply to be respectful and at the same time, it served to take a lot of pressure off of myself to get back into the swing of things so to speak. I also found that when said, no further explanation was expected. Most importantly, constantly repeating those words, changes your own thinking and you really begin to live by it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading my work - and for the links to the poems. You are sending a lot of traffic my way and I appreciate it. Also, my youngest son share a birthday with you -- his is 5/19/2002. His name is Nathanael Steven.

    ReplyDelete